Vitamin E is one of the most popular vitamin supplements. It is known as a vitamin in search of a disease. This is because Vitamin E is widespread in the food supply and deficiency.
It is a powerful antioxidant that works to protect the cells in the body from damage caused by free radicals.
How does Vitamin E Help?
- Protection of erythrocytes: Vitamin E protects Erythrocytes (red blood cells) from breakdown.
- Protection of cells membrane: Vitamin E protects the cell membrane from getting damaged from naturally occurring peroxides and toxic free radicals formed from fatty acids and oxidative tissue damage.
- Reduction of free radicals generation: The antioxidant role of Vitamin E together with selenium protects against cardiovascular diseases.
RICH SOURCES OF VITAMIN E:
Vitamin is present in almost all foodstuffs. It is found in wheat germ, corn, nuts, seeds, olives, spinach, and asparagus and other green leafy vegetables and vegetable oil like groundout, soy, cottonseed and safflower are the richest sources.
Vitamin E is naturally present in plant-based diets (whole grain cereals, dark green leafy vegetables, pulses, nuts and oilseeds.
Animal sources like egg yolk, butter, liver.
VITAMIN E FOR OUR SKIN :
We have seen that Vitamin E tends to work wonders to our skin, it imparts glow and give a dewy and younger-looking skin, but the question that needs to be answered is what are the properties and elements that are present that makes Vitamin E so good for our skin?
The answer to the above questions is simple:
- Due to its antioxidant properties, it protects our skin from various detrimental effects, due to solar radiation by acting as a free radical scrounger.
- Another reason as to why vitamin E is good for our skin is, It also has the property to oppose tumorigenesis; serving to counteract the formation of tumours and also has photoprotective properties.
- The major form of vitamin E is tocopherol. This inhibits the production of prostaglandin E2 (inhibits platelet aggregation and plays a major role in the resolution of inflammation)
- It protects our skin from sunburn cell formation, Ultraviolet, β induced lipid peroxidation and oedema, and thus people who consume a fair amount of Vitamin E always have firmer skin.
- Vitamin E for skin is proven to give protection from oxidative stress.
- Another blessing of Vitamin E for skin is that combination of Vitamin C and Vitamin E helps in treating Acne Vulgaris. Vitamin E plays a major role to prevent bacterial-induced leakage through follicles and sebaceous glands, thereby prevents inflammation due to peroxide irritation.
RECOMMENDED DIETARY ALLOWANCE FOR VITAMIN E :
Even though there are capsules of vitamin E present in the market, the fact being neglected that they are artificial sources of vitamin E and are only 10% absorbed by our body.
Thus it is better to consume Vitamin E from dietary sources as they are present in adequate amount in PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids) and are absorbed by our body by 68%
The required amount of vitamin E for females is 8mg and males is 10mg.
Thus, it is always recommended to choose natural sources of vitamins as they are easily accepted by our body and there will be less wastage of these vitamins.
Also, high doses of vitamin E especially from capsules can lead to toxicity.
Natural sources are free from added hormones, antibiotics, artificial flavours, colours and preservatives, thus the chances of allergic reactions are also less.